Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year 2016!


 
 
Happy New Year 2016!
 
It is the first day of 2016 and therefore time for a big HAPPY NEW YEAR! to everybody reading this blog.

The beginning of the year also marks an anniversary for me since it was New Year’s eve 2009/10 that I made the crazy decision to watch all these movies and went right ahead to order a compilation from film pioneers like Méliès and Lumière. Six years later and I am closing in on the 1/3 mark (the List is growing so that point keeps moving away).

At this point I am 314 movies down the List and a single movie from finishing 1955 (Oklahoma!). I know most of my fellow bloggers would have finished the list in that time, but I take it slow and I also only started writing about them in 2012 (poor excuse). Still the pace suits me fine and I will now stop complaining about it, I promise.

In 2015 I processed 64 movies from the list and a few more if you count Danish entries and a few extra movies I reviewed. This took me from 1951 to 1955. There are a lot more movies each year now and 1955 covers a staggering 20 entries. Fortunately the quality is generally good and although it is slow going it gives a more in-depth view on each year with lots of entries. Also it allows space for world cinema, which in the post war period was lagging behind Hollywood at least technically.

So, what was the greatest experience of 2015 movie wise? With so many excellent movies that is an awfully difficult choice, but I will go with “Seven Samurai”. Although it was a re-watch it overwhelmed me in a way I did not expect and in a great year like 1954 it takes a lot to stand out.

On the book list I did not do so well. Four books is nothing to brag about. Partly this is due to poor planning on my side (finishing a book without having the next one ready), but also these old books make for very slow reading. However I am busy reading again and hopefully I can pick up the pace there a bit.

Finally I wish to thank my readers and especially those commenting on my writings for doing just that in 2015 and wish you all the best for the new year.

10 comments:

  1. Happy new year, my friend.

    Hey, just because I was stupid and blazed through the list as fast as I could doesn't mean I did it the right way. Take your time. Savor it. Who's to say which way is better or best?

    Here's to enjoying the 1950s you have left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no right or wrong way to do this as long as you are having fun doing it. That is the truth. Happy new year, Steve, and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to what you have in store for us in 2016. According to letterboxd, I'm at 59% of the book, so I may have seen a few of the films you have lined up.

    Lastly, you're welcome, and thanks also for showing an interet in my blog. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will see me a lot more on your page in 2016.
      At 59% you are doing quite allright, but I bet those are the easy ones, no? There is a lot of fun to watching those crazy old films and I would love to read your take on them.
      Have a great year back in ol' DK.

      Delete
  3. You are just going for quality over quantity. It takes time to write a thoughtful review. Something I could do more of!

    As for the books, I don't think I could ever make it through going chronologically. Hats off to you if you can. Have you considered using a random number generator to pick your next book?

    Here's to another year of great movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then, you get all those wonderful monster and space movies that I miss. That is a mission I have seriously considered as a side trip.
      I actually thought of dipping more randomly into the books and I have not ruled it out. So far it is not too bad doing it head on, but I fear I might be overcome by 18th and 19th century sentiments eventually and long for something else. Let's see.
      Have a great year, Bea, and all the best to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year!

    I agree with Steve - the best way to do the list is whatever way you personally want to do it. He watched and reviewed all of them, even rewatching ones again. I only watched the ones I hadn't already seen, and reviewed some of the ones I'd recommend. You're going through in chronological order, which allows you to see developing trends. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Chip.
      Yes, everybody have to do it their own way and I am fine with that. I am just totally impressed with the capacity of you guys, you are awesome.
      Thanks for all your comments in the past year and I promise to be a more frequent guest on your page in the coming year.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! I like how you do eviews at your own pace. It seems more thoughtful. And going in chronological order is like crazy dedicated. Here's to another great year of movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey, those are kind words. A great year for you as well. Lost of good movies

      Delete